Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's Alive!

I've found it quite difficult to spend much time in our gardens, this year. To remedy this, I resolved to eat lunch being entertained by flora and fauna in one of our butterfly and hummingbird gardens.

Sounds good, huh? The problem with this is I can't sit still long enough to just enjoy watching. I'll spot a weed, and just have to pull it (along with the others that suddenly come into view). Or I'll find an interesting insect and observe it. One of my butterflies will inevitably come into sight, flitting from flower to flower, and I'll grab my camera and start shooting! --Oy!!!

Here are some shots I got, today.




A Milkweed bug dining on the nectar of phlox. They look like Boxelder bugs, don't they?!
This is a Silver-Spotted Skipper butterfly nectaring at Purple Bee Balm. These skippers are larger than most in their family. They have a long proboscis (straw-like tongue) which enable them to draw nectar from deeper-throated flowers.
--LKR

No comments: