Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Quiche, Anyone?

It's been ages since I've made quiche, and since I couldn't think of anything else to make, decided on this for dinner. Okay, so maybe it was the two giant zucchinis and three tomatoes that needed to be used up that helped necessitate this meal.
Duplicating a dish I've made isn't easy since I improvise, often using recipes only as guidelines. By the way, this is a crustless version, so it is gluten-free.

Let's see, the zucchinis, tomatoes, and onion were sauteed; side pork (cooked) was "crumbled"; cheddar, havarti, and muenster were added to milk and eggs and mixed together. Oh, yes, some basil and oregano were also tossed in. Normally I like to use fresh herbs, but our basil is recovering from when we were away on our (2,827 mile) "road trip", and we haven't had oregano in our garden since we've lived here. Guess this was the only part of the recipe I actually followed: Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

The kids were fighting over who would get the largest pieces. None of them asked what they were eating until after all crumbs were consumed. The smiles quickly turned to shock and disbelief. I'm not exactly sure what they've heard about quiche, before, but it must not have measured up! --LKR

No comments: