Tuesday, July 3, 2007

A Storm in the Night

Tapping out an email to a friend, last night, I smiled as I caught glimpses of rapidly flashing light that pierced though our basement window, illuminating the darkened room where I sat. We’d been desperate for rain, having below average rainfall. I thanked the Lord for the approaching storm, anticipating the hope of precipitation—and the light show!

I was all but finished with my note when I suddenly became alarmed by what sounded like a wailing siren. Severe thunderstorms had been predicted for late this evening. Racing upstairs, I flung the front door wide open (not too bright!) to confirm my suspicions. Grabbing my nine year old daughter out of bed, I guided this trance-like figure down the stairs and into the safety of the lower level family room where earlier, her two older siblings had decided to camp out for the night. The attempts to get my hubby to join us were futile.

About a month before, high winds had whipped our neighbor’s trees, bending and twisting them in unnatural ways. The sky became green, and the sound of loud train cars filled the air—something people warned me when I moved to the midwest was a sign of a nearby tornado. We later learned that a funnel had been spotted about a mile away. Fortunately, it had not touched down anywhere. (Tornados can form with no, or very little, warning. Having lived on the east coast, I can honestly say that hurricanes are much easier to avoid!)

This night, we had been wedged between two severe storm cells, one of which we were almost smack in the center. We were thankfully spared the heavy hail and other conditions this storm could have brought us. Both my hubby’s mother’s and brother’s homes had unfortunately suffered extensive damage during a recent hail storm they had in Wisconsin Rapids. The power of these storms always reminds me of the awesome power of God! --LKR

6/21/07

When He rolls up His sleeves
He ain't just putting on the ritz
(Our God is an awesome God)
There's thunder in His footsteps
And lightning in His fists
(Our God is an awesome God)
And the Lord wasn't joking
When He kicked 'em out of Eden
It wasn't for no reason
That He shed His blood
His return is very close
And so you better be believing that
Our God is an awesome God… .

--Rich Mullins Awesome God

No comments: